Sunday, March 31, 2013

Lash Enhancing Formulas

The first time make-up item I ever bought for myself was a mascara. I was 12, and make-up and all things beauty had just started piquing my interest (unavoidable, since I was cultish-ly consuming Seventeen magazine every month). At the tender age of 16, I also learned that false eyelashes save you a ton of time and money spent looking for the perfect mascara, since they do wonders once you stick them on, enhancing your make-up without you even trying. For the last few years, I've toned down on falsies, mainly because it was impractical (for me) to be wearing them on a regular basis...so I've practically survived on deluxe mascara samples.

IMG_0015

LOVE mascara samples because they last you a long time! And let's face it, you never really finish a tube of mascara before they dry out!

Two months ago, I was lucky enough to receive a lash primer sample with one of my orders.

I guess everyone has their own way of applying their mascara, but I was taught since I started using them to first coat your lashes by brushing downwards, then only brushing upwards. I know it sounds odd, but it really DOES make a difference! Think of it this way, you're coating both sides so that when you finally LIFT THOSE LASHES from bottom to up, it is stable enough to provide this lift. You get longer and more voluminous lashes! F'REAAAAAL. Don't believe me, try it. Because of this, I hardly ever use my eyelash curler anymore! By the way, if you ever have to use one, you must use the Shu Uemura Eyelash Curler!

Anyway, back to the lash serum!

IMG_0016

IMG_0017

I do the same as I would with a regular mascara, coating both sides with the Tarte MultiplEYE Lash Enhancing Primer before proceeding to coat both sides again with the Tarte Lights, Camera, Lashes! Mascara. MY EYELASHES HAVE NEVER LOOKED SO PRETTY.

IMG_0019

This Tarte combo is the best! I once wanted to test its durability since most mascaras these days don't even need the waterproof claim to be waterproof, so I wore this for the entire day from 7 a.m. up till 7 p.m. And I even worked out that day and sweat quite a bit, but there were NO smudges whatsoever! Tarte is slowly becoming my favourite brand, I swear (more on that in a future post).

IMG_0021

Another mascara that I really loved, and would still have continued loving if it didn't already dry out is the Estee Lauder MagnaScopic Maximum Volume Mascara. Now, when I first started using this three years ago, I had people come to me asking me whether I was wearing false eyelashes! That, my dear readers, is how good this mascara is. I don't pair this with the Tarte MultiplEYE Lash Enhancing Primer because 1) it IS totally dried out and I am happy enough with the aforementioned Tarte combo, and 2) after a few bad smudging experiences with pairing the Tarte lash primer and the Lancome Definicils High Definition Mascara, I kinda just want to stick to the Tarte combo for now..

IMG_3658

A few weeks ago, I got a an email from Beautylish.com with a $10 off voucher. If you all don't know, Beautylish.com is a beauty community online that recently started having an online boutique...so recent that they include personalized messages in your packaged goods, thanking you for being one of the first customers! Lol.

IMG_3663_1

IMG_3666

IMG_3664

IMG_3665

IMG_3667

The website's pretty neat though, even if they do not offer as many brands as other beauty sites, but it's worth visiting, and they ARE expanding. I got this Too Faced Better Than False Lashes set. This comes with an Activating Mascara Base & Top Coat and a tube of Nylon Lash Fibers. This set, has got to be, the WEIRDEST thing I have ever applied onto my lashes. I mean, it's not like I've done lots of funky things to my lashes to have anything extreme to compare this with, but if someone were to ask me of my WEIRDEST experience with make-up, this probably takes the cake.

IMG_0024

...and this is why. It looks exactly like this in real life, and it is dry.

It was SO weird applying it. And since the instructions said to apply the Activating Mascara Base & Top Coat first, and then the Nylon Lash Fibers, it felt super weird. I guess since the fibers are dry, they could hold on to the base coat if they were "step 2". After applying that, I still had to go back to apply the last step, going back to the first tube I used.

My lashes did not feel "false". They did not even look nice as real lashes. They were just dull, and I even had to use my eyelash curler after that!

It claims so many things, and maybe I need to be wearing this consistently to see the results, but I'm returning this. The hassle is not worth it, and the nylon fibres get into my eyes! Such a pity, though. I really wanted my first Beautylish.com purchase to be one that I didn't have to return! I really wanted to love it since it is the first full-sized mascara I've bought for myself in a long time and it's so pretty as well, in its gold packaging and all..

Quick Tips
  1. NEVER pump your mascara in and out to get more product, or whatever reason you're doing that. It will only introduce more air into the tube, causing your mascara to dry out faster.
  2. Everyone's lashes is different. A mascara that might work for someone else might not necessarily work for you. Just like how we are all of different shapes and sizes, so are our lashes! It is always better to try things out on your own!
  3. Applying a thin line of dark shadow just below your waterline when you're applying mascara to your bottom lashes will help create a fuller look.
I hope this post was helpful in some way!
I will be posting more on my March beauty haul & March favourites.

So, stay tuned! :D
Bloglovin | Twitter | Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment