Monday, August 5, 2013

Review: Benefit Cosmetics Stay Flawless 15-Hour Primer vs. Revlon PhotoReady Color Correcting Primer

Hello magnifique readers!

Just thought I'd squeeze in one post before I fly off to New York! I am still super determined to do my July beauty haul post so I'll make sure to get that done the weekend I get back to Columbus. But for today, I would like to bring you a primer showdown! Well, to be quite honest, it can't really be a showdown because one product clearly stands out over the other.


I originally just wanted to review the new Benefit Cosmetics Stay Flawless 15-Hour Primer, but I decided that hey, since I'm doing a primer review already, I might as well just share with you lovely people how I feel about the previous (also the first) primer I had as well.


When the Benefit Cosmetics Stay Flawless 15-Hour Primer was first released and many people in the beauty sphere were raving about it, I was intrigued but hesitant. The first reason being I have always been hesitant about trying anything by Benefit. Same goes to brands like Nars and MAC. I do own quite a number of MAC cosmetics, but it's a brand I always approach with apprehension. I've heard people talking about certain Benefit cosmetics having favourable scents to it and I was afraid of how my sensitive skin would react to it. The packaging for the Benefit cosmetics adds to the whole fear factor as well. Anything pretty and cutesy is likely to have ingredients that would aggravate my skin, in my opinion!


Sucks not being able to buy make-up or skincare products because I find the packaging interesting, doesn't it? ):

Another reason why I didn't purchase the Benefit Stay Flawless 15-Hour Primer right away was because the one and only primer that I ever used never worked for me. I saw no difference in my make-up or just the product itself alone on my skin. And I know this is a problem many people encounter with primers. But I am extremely glad that I gave in to peer pressure (as some people may call it) and just got the Benefit primer anyway.


Now, I can't even do my make-up without first gliding the primer all over my face! And that's how the product works. You glide it over fresh, clean face without rubbing it in. Then, you just apply your foundation and just blend your foundation in with your fingers or your brush, whichever you prefer.


Personally, I've found that blending those two products with my fingers help maximise the primer's full potential. And although I've always likened my Real Techniques Stippling Brush to my fingers whereby they really do blend products into my face really well, I must say there is nothing that can compare to the warmth of one's fingers! LOL.

I also realized that my make-up does last longer than it would without me first applying a primer. It doesn't have a significant mattifying effect to it, which I am thankful for, but after a long day I can really tell the difference because my skin doesn't look AS greasy as it'd be usually. And since it is pretty humid this summer, that's always a good sign!

The only qualm I have about this product is that I might need to start purchasing a new one soon because it does seem like it's going down a bit faster than I thought it would. Only time will tell, though. I'll update you guys about that, fo'sho.


As for the Revlon PhotoReady Color Correcting Primer, I first got it because I wanted to give primers a try and see whether they really did wonders for your make-up. It was, sadly, very disappointing. I trusted Revlon because it is the only drugstore make-up brand that I would trust with my face, and I've heard so many good things about this primer as well.

However, it didn't seem to live up to its name. At least, it didn't for me. My skin tone is pretty uneven and I have redness on certain parts of my skin. The primer did nothing to correct it. It felt like I was just applying something to my face that did nothing for it. Mixing it in with my foundation, I did not see any difference from when I didn't have the primer on and when I did. Needless to say, after that I gave up on primers in general until I came across the Benefit Cosmetics Stay Flawless 15-Hour Primer...

All in all, I would say, the Benefit Cosmetics Stay Flawless 15-Hour Primer is a must-try! It retails for $32, which is about three times the price of the Revlon PhotoReady Color Correcting Primer, but I love it! It's a staple now in my make-up routine.

---

I've been thinking for a while now of doing videos because there are a lot of things that I feel would be better expressed through videos, especially when it comes to product demonstration. I also know a lot of people don't like reading as much anymore and even just a post like this may be too tedious for them. However, I do realize I don't have a large following for the need to actually make beauty videos. And I am not doing this to be popular, or to earn money. Starting this beauty blog has always been about sharing with the world what I'm passionate about and my experiences when it came to anything beauty. Writing is also very important to me and I intend to keep this blog for that. Video wise, I'm going to start vlogging during my trip to New York and see how I like it. If I do, I'll get a tripod and get this all started!

Until next time,
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment